What a warm and yummy treat for this cold cold weather!
3 Tbs. olive oil
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (28 oz. each) organic tomatoes, blended
2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. dried Italian herbs
olive oil, for drizzling
2-3 medium eggplants, peeled
8-10 large slices of sourdough bread
1 cup breadcrumbs
1-2 large, ripe tomatoes, fresh, for garnish
basil, for garnish
- In a large sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat; sauté garlic for 1-2 minutes, then add tomatoes, salt, and herbs; cook for 30 minutes (bubbling), stirring occasionally.
- Prep two baking sheets with parchment paper; peel eggplants by slicing off top and bottom and using cut edge to start vegetable peeler; holding eggplant vertically, cut into ½ inch slices; arrange in one layer on baking sheet; sprinkle with salt and drizzle liberally with oil.
- Bake eggplant 30-40 minutes at 400º F, turning once, until soft and slightly browned.
- Spray both sides of each slice of bread with spray oil and “grill” in hot skillet until browned on both sides OR simply toast bread.
- In large baking dish, spread 1½ cups tomato sauce; line bottom of dish with one layer of bread, fill gaps without overlapping; place layer of eggplant on top of bread, followed by another 1-1½ cups tomato sauce.
- Add second layer of bread, eggplant, and remaining sauce, covering bread completely; sprinkle top with breadcrumbs, fresh tomato slices, salt and pepper.
- Bake 40 minutes at 400º F. Remove from oven, let rest 10 minutes before cutting.
- Top with basil leaves and drizzle sweet, thick balsamic vinegar or syrup on plate. Enjoy!
*courtesy of VeganYumYum