What a yummy way to start thinking about summer! COME ON SUMMER!
I adapted my recipe from another one, found here. Mine saves you about 40 calories per muffin, but I encourage you to make your own adaptations.
I gobbled one of these up fresh out of the oven. Yummy! I even had another one for breakfast and shared a few with some hungry co-workers. They (and their empty bellies) thanked me!
Here’s my version:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 3/4 cup whole wheat, unbleached flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup brown sugar, divided
- 5 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons egg whites
- 3/4 cup vanilla rice milk, with splash of lemon or lime juice (makes a fake, and sweeter buttermilk)
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray or use paper liners.
- Combine coconut, 2 tablespoons flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 2 tablespoons macadamia nuts in a small bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil; stir to combine. Set aside.
- Whisk the remaining 1 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Whisk the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, egg whites, rice milk, margarine and vanilla extract in a medium bowl until well combined. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients; stir until just combined. Add blueberries and the remaining 3 tablespoons nuts; stir just to combine. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with the reserved coconut topping and gently press into the batter.
- Bake the muffins until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and let cool on a wire rack at least 5 minutes more before serving.
Per muffin : 177 Calories; 7 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 1 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 22 g Carbohydrates; 3 g Protein; 2 g Fiber; 190 mg Sodium; 8 mg Potassium