I love muffins…LOVE MUFFINS.
I changed yet another recipe to meet my needs, and the result is fantastic (hope there are still some when I get home). I like a crumble on my muffins, so I took a recipe from Veg SF baker and put my own little twist on it.
Whole Wheat Carrot Craisin Crumb Muffins
Prep time: 15 mins
Bake time: 18-20 mins
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 1/4 C whole wheat, unbleached flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 C brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 C orange juice (I like Simply Orange)
- 1/4 C liquid egg whites
- 1 1/2 C grated then chopped carrots
- 1/2 C Craisins (the original kind)
For topping (mix in separate bowl and set aside):
- 2 tbsp whole wheat, unbleached flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F. Line 12 cup muffin with paper liners.
- Sift (or mix with a whisk) the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, applesauce, orange juice, and egg whites together.
- Add your dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until almost combined. Fold in the carrots and cranberries.
- Divide the batter evenly in 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle with the topping mix and gently press into the batter.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 360 and bake for 18-20 mins until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool 5 mins in the pan, then carefully transfer the muffins to a wire rack to continue cooling.
Per muffin : 130 Calories; 1 g Fat; 0 g Sat; 0 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 27 g Carbohydrates; 2 g Protein; 2 g Fiber; 210 mg Sodium; 150 mg Potassium