What a whirlwind…..wowzas. Not to mention I’ve been feeling a little under the weather since Thursday.
Friday Hubs and I had a little bit of celebrating to do. I surprised him with champagne, coq au vin and roasted sweet potatoes for dinner. Coq au vin was one of my favorite dishes before going veg and I cannot believe it has taken me this long to make it for him. We have a winner kids, like “make again good” winner. Luckily I made 3 servings, so he’ll have leftovers as I take on another week of busy evenings. Here’s the VERY easy recipe for Coq au Vin:
Coq au Vin
Ingredients (italics show my adaptations)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (Spray as much Pam as needed)
- 4 ounces small cremini or white mushrooms (6oz white button mushrooms)
- 1 3/4-ounce package garlic-and-herb salad-dressing mix (such as Good Seasons)
- 1 cup frozen small onions (such as Birds Eye), thawed (1 tsp onion powder)
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup canned chicken broth (such as Swanson Natural Goodness) (98% fat free chicken broth)
- 1 2-pound cooked chicken breast (such as Tyson) or 1 chicken cooked and cut into 2 breasts and 2 legs (discard backbone) (3 hand sized pre-cooked grilled chicken breasts)
- Heat the oil in a large oven-safe casserole over medium-high heat. (Did not use oil) Add the mushrooms (and Pam) and sauté until brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the salad-dressing mix and onions (onion powder) and toss to coat evenly. Stir in the wine and broth and cook until blended. Add the chicken. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes, turning pieces halfway through.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables. Increase heat to high and boil the sauce until reduced and slightly thickened. Pour over the chicken.
Original recipe from RealSimple.com
Fast forward to Saturday and I’m doing brunch with a very special pregnant lady! I haven’t seen her since she’s been pregnant (super lame) but we were finally able to get together. Weather was perfect so I rode top down on the way home. First time this year! After that hubs and I went for a run (literally) around town. Love when Nashville finally wakes up for spring and the streets are buzzing! Then we headed to a child’s birthday afterparty. Say what?!? Yeah…it’s what happens when the kids go home and the adults come back to play. It was completely OOC
as usual. Started at 3 and was still roaring when we left at 10. Please remind us to throw one of these if we ever have a bambino.
Sunday we headed to West Haven to get even more of our suburban wanna-be life on! The-best-brunch-I-have-ever-eaten. The WONDERFUL host made cream cheese and strawberry preserves stuffed french toast AND homemade sausage. I must also mention the strawberry preserves were also homemade. Ya’ll know this girl can get her cook/bake on but Mrs. T is NO JOKE and quickly puts me to shame every.single.time. She’s like a real life without jail term Martha Stewart AND with two little ones running around. After that we took the little ones to the park to soak up the sunshine. By 3 we headed back to the city where we spent the rest of the evening
catching up with a good book reading our DVR.
Happy Monday Ya’ll! Last Monday at my current job!!!!!!